Thursday, July 12, 2007

Disc brakes on a 1990 mtb?






Thanks to Haircut at the local Shimano importer here in NZ, I am now the proud owner of a vee brake to disc adaptor arm thingy.


Funnily enough it won't be straight forward.


1) The threaded hole in the frame drop out is 4mm diameter.


2) The threaded hole in the arm is 5mm diameter.


3) The hole in the Vee brake stub is smaller than the corresponding bolt provided with the arm.


4) I'd misplaced my box of discarded Formula disc brakes-finally found it in the last box I looked in......


On the positive side, the rear wheel fits in the frame with clearance.......


So at least something is going right.
That leads me to the forks; as if no disc tabs would be a problem at this stage.....
Just swap the forks out I hear you say - 1 inch steerer tube hombray. No joy.
I think I'll have a look at Keighleys Klein Attitude with Rock Shox from the same era and maybe reallocate her lower legs. Sssssh, it's a secret.
Stay tuned for more stupidity from the garage in the near future.

No comments: